Slugging- TikTok Made Me Do It
You might have noticed the fairly new overnight skincare hack/trend called “slugging” that took TikTok by surprise in February 2022. It sounds just as it is- slimy and gooey, but it has many benefits despite its unappealing name.
What is Slugging?
Slugging refers to a skincare method that includes saturating the face in petroleum jelly overnight to lock in moisture. This method is particularly beneficial to those with dry skin because of the moisture barrier it creates on the epidermis- the outermost layer of skin. Needless to say, this option may not be the best for people with oily and/or acne-prone skin because it can cause breakouts.
How to Slug:
- Cleanse the Face- utilize your favorite facial cleanser to wash away the day. We recommend Cerave Hydrating Micellar Water for more moisture retention.
- Apply a Serum- promptly spread a serum, such as hyaluronic acid directly to the face. We recommend The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5.
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!- This step is perhaps the most important in the nighttime routine, because this will be the layer that initiates the moisture penetrating the skin. Apply moisturizer generously during this step. We suggest Cerave Moisturizing Cream to create that initial barrier.
- Layer on That Petroleum Jelly- apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly (available at most drug stores) on top of the moisturized skin layer.
- Sleep- keep the layer of petroleum jelly on overnight. You should ditch any satin pillowcases for an older one during this process. Petroleum jelly stains some fabrics.
- Wake Up, Rinse, and Enjoy Your Beautiful Skin- this step requires minimal effort- simply wake up and rinse the mixture off with water and go about your day!
How Often Should I Slug?
It is really up to each person how often they wish to repeat the process of slugging. People with drier skin repeat a few times a week while others only do it once or twice. It is ultimately dependent upon your skin type.